San Mateo County Flood Tips
In this Photo South San Francisco had an unexpected Flood. Flooding can happen anywhere at anytime.
What to do in case of Flooding!
It is very important to know what to do in case a flood strikes in your neighborhood. Especially if the local news is providing early warning signs of possible flash flooding in your area. Being better prepared for floods can save your life and property.
Know the Difference between "Flood Watch" and "Flood Warnings". "Flood Watch" means it is possible Flooding can or will occur. "Flood Warning" means the Flooding is Happening and Starting to Occur.
Basic Flash Flooding Tips while Driving or Walking:
- Listen to your local News or Radio Stations
- Avoid Driving or Walking through Flood Water
- Moving Flood Water can knock you down or sweep your vehicle away
- Do not go near downed power lines
- Try and move to higher grounds when flooding occurs
- If your'e in your Vehicle and Flood Water is not moving abandon your Vehicle
- If your'e in your Vehicle and the Flood Water is moving stay in your Vehicle until safe
- Avoid parking around streams, creeks and rivers during heavy rainfall
Basic Flash Flooding Tips for your Home:
- Listen to your Local News or Radio Station
- Bring Outdoor Furniture inside
- Set up Sand Bags in Front of Entrances
- Move important Indoor Belongings off the Ground or to the Upper Level of Home
- Disconnect Electrical Appliances. Be Careful you can get electrocuted if wet
- Turn off Gas and Electricity at the Main Switch or Valve if Instructed
If Flooding occurs in your neighborhood and your home is affected; contact SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno at 650-794-1000 and we would be more than happy to assist you.
San Mateo County Residents: Mold Issues
Finding and Fixing the Source of the Water Intrusion will stop the Mold from Growing in your Residential or Commercial Property.
Got Mold? Find the Source!
SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno receive many calls regarding Mold in Residential and Commercial Properties. Some calls are more severe than others, but typically all Mold Situations have the same outcome. It is very important to Find and Stop the Source!
What is the Source?
The Source is the Moisture that is feeding that Mold in your home or business. Mold Grows off moisture and finding where you are having that moisture problem will assist with stopping that Mold from growing and spreading.
Where to find the Source:
- Water Leaks from Supply Lines
- Water Leaks from Pipelines (Interior and Exterior)
- Water Leaks from Faucets
- Water Leaks from Toilets
- Water Leaks from Dishwashers
- Water Leaks from Refrigerators
- Water Leaks from Washing Machines
- Standing Water in Crawl Spaces
- Cracks or Holes on Exterior of Structure
- Window Sills (that water can get into)
- Not airing out structure (after cooking or showers)
- Roof Leaks
- Water Loss in Neighboring Home or Unit
- Flash Floods Occurring
- Previous Water Loss not Properly Mitigated
When you find the Source of Water Intrusion you can than stop feeding the Mold and start removing it!
If you like this information- stay tuned for our next "Got Mold?" Blog!
Call SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno at 650-794-1000 for more information on Mold Damage Remediation. We are here to help!
When a Fire Starts in your Residential Home
SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno specializes in Fire and Water Damage Restoration.
What do you do when a fire starts?
It can get pretty nerve racking when a fire starts, especially if you do not know what to do. You can start to panic and waste precious time that is crucial during a fire. It is extremely important to remember simple steps to ensure your safety along with your families and others during the start of a fire.
When a fire starts be prepared with these tips:
- Know how to use/operate a Fire Extinguisher
- Pan Fires- Place the Pan Lid over the small fire
- Oven/ Microwave Fire- Turn Off and Close Door for small fires
- Grease Fire-Apply Baking Soda or Salt- Do Not Add Water or Flour to the small fire!
- Use a Water Hose or Buckets/Pots Full of Water to Extinguish a small/medium fire
- Call 9-1-1 right away
- Yell "Fire" and get out right away if fire is uncontrollable
- Leave your things and Save Yourself, Family and Others
- Use Stairs not Elevators
- Exit through Doors, Windows or Fire Escapes right away
- Never open doors that are Warm or Hot to the Touch
- Stay Low if moving through Heavy Smoke and Close the Doors behind you
- If Trapped Stay in the Room with the Door Closed and place a Wet Towel under the Door
- Use a Wet Towel to help breath in Heavy Smoke
- Call 9-1-1 Right Away
It is very important to understand and know when you are not able to control a fire. Whether the fire is small or large know your capabilities and make wise decisions when trying to determine if you can put out a fire without the help of the Fire Department. Time is of the essence when a fire strikes and safety is always a priority.
Contact SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno with questions on Fire Losses and Fire Damage Restoration at 650-794-1000. We are here for you.
Did you have a Fire Loss in South San Francisco?
SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno specializes in Residential and Commercial Fire Damage Restoration in the San Mateo County.
What to expect after a Fire
Experiencing a fire loss can be emotionally draining and stressful. It may get difficult to stay focused and make the right decisions and you can become easily frustrated. It is extremely important to be there for your loved ones and each other during their time of need, especially when experiencing this traumatic event. It is very important to try and stay positive and know sometimes recovery can take some time, but will eventually get better.
Steps to immediately recover after a fire:
- Have all injuries treated by a medical professional
- Stay calm and pace yourself
- Let your family and friends know your safe
- Speak with the Fire Department to know your home is safe to enter
- Check your home and take many photos of every room
- Contact your Insurance Company (if applicable)
- Determine if your home is still livable
- Come up with a cleaning plan for your home, contents and textiles
- Start the Restoration Process
- Begin building back your home
When the immediate emergency is over and when you are ready the Healing Process can begin and all the pieces can be put back together again. Contact SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno for more information on Fire Losses and the Fire Restoration Process at 650-794-1000. We are always here to help.
Simple Fire Safety Tips for your Family
SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno specializes in Emergency Fire Damage Restoration Services in the San Mateo County.
Prepare your family in the event of a home fire
It is extremely important to prepare your family from an unexpected fire in your home. SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno wants to implement important fire safety tips, so you and your family will be better prepared in case an emergency fire situation occurs.
- Install smoke alarms to the right number of rooms in your home
- Teach your family and children what smoke alarms do and how they sound
- Ensure your family knows how to escape from every room in the event of a fire
- Have a family meeting spot outside the home in case of an emergency
- Come up with a communication plan in the event you cannot find each other
- Test the smoke alarms and practice escaping every year
- Make sure your family and children know how to call 9-1-1
- Teach your family and children how to Stop, Drop and Roll
Contact SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno with any questions regarding Fire Losses and Fire Damage Restoration Services at 650-794-1000. We are always here to help!
San Mateo County Residents: 24/7 Emergency Water Damage Services
SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno provides 24 hour emergency fire and water damage restoration services in the San Mateo County.
SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno is available 24 hours a day for emergency water damage services. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay in dealing with the water damage can greatly impact the severity of the water damage.
We answer the phone 24 hours a day ready to help!
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, upset and vulnerable. You will need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time.
What to Expect
When you call us we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine the scope of the damage, the type and quantity of equipment and resources that may be required, including how many trained SERVPRO professionals will be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask:
- Your Name and Contact Information
- The Address of the Water Damage
- When did the Water Damage Occur
- What caused the Water Damage
- How many Rooms are affected
- The Flooring Type of the affected Rooms
- Is there Electricity Available
- Your Insurance Information (if applicable)
Call us now at 650-794-1000 and we will be glad to assist you anytime!
We are here to help 24/7!
San Mateo County Residents: We Specialize in Smoke and Soot Cleanup
SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno specializes in Smoke and Soot Damage cleanup and remove Pervasive Odor in your San Mateo County Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 650-794-1000
San Mateo County Residences: We are Faster to any Size Disaster!
SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno provides Emergency Fire and Water Damage Services 24 hours a day in the San Mateo County.
Flooding and Water Emergencies don't wait for regular business hours to occur and neither do we. SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno provides 24 hour emergency cleaning and restoration services to residential and commercial properties.
We Are Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and Water Damage is very invasive. Water can quickly spreads throughout your home or business at any time. The Water will affect everything in its path, including the walls, floors, ceilings, contents and more. Immediate action helps to minimize the damages. Acting fast can save a lot of time and money. SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno is ready to assist you in your time of need.
Need Emergency Services? Call us 24/7 at 650-794-1000. We are Faster to any Size Disaster!
Demolition and Removal in Residential and Commercial Properties
This is an example of a Clean Water Loss. The entire Ceiling was affected by water. Demolition was required since there was Wet Insulation present.
Why do you need Demolition during Mitigation?
SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno specialize in Residential and Commercial Restoration for Fire, Water and Mold Losses. We take pride in our work and provide quality service. During Mitigation we want to save as much as possible and restore materials back to normal. But unfortunately, at times, that Mitigation requires Demolition because some Materials just can’t be saved and salvaged.
Examples of Materials that would require Demolition and the Reason:
Drywall: would require Removal because Wet Insulation is present, affected by water for a long period of time or Category of Water, Visible “Mold” Growth Present, Fire Damaged and Burnt.
Insulation: would require Removal because it is non-salvageable when affected by Any Type of Water, Mold or Fire Loss.
Tile: would require Removal because it acts as a vapor barrier covering wood sub-floors, Drywall and Framing. Tile would have to be removed in order to clean and Dry the Wood Sub- floor or Framing when affected by Water, Mold or Fire; depending on circumstances and Category of Loss.
Vinyl: No matter what type of sub-floor the Vinyl would have to be removed. Vinyl acts like a vapor barrier and delaminates when affected by any type of water. Vinyl would have to be removed in order to clean and Dry the Wood Sub- floor when affected by Water, Mold or Fire; depending on circumstances and Category of Loss.
Contact SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno when you need to make a decision on demolition during a Fire, Mold of Water Loss at 1-650-794-1000. We are always here to help!
Saving Hardwood Floors from Water Damage in your Residential Home
Time is of the Essence when looking to Save your Hardwood Floors from Water Damage. Act Fast and contact your Professionals to start a Drying Plan.
Can my Hardwood Floors be saved from Water Damage?
SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno is asked multiple times if Hardwood Floors can be saved from Water Damage. Well, for the quick answer, yes! True Hardwood Floors can be saved, but time is of the essence and depending on the circumstances; if any discoloration, delaminating or buckling has already occurred, then the Hardwood Floors may need to be removed and it is important when making decisions about saving, removing or replacing Hardwood Floors, considering the Category of Water and the time of exposure.
What kind of Wood Floors do you have in your Residential Home?
Knowing the kind of Wood Floors that came in contact with the water will help determine if the Wood Floors can possibly be saved or not. Here are some examples of the Wood Floors in Residential Homes and the possible outcome if affected by water:
Solid True Hardwood Floors: can be successfully saved or salvaged when treated in a timely manner; depending on circumstances.
Engineered Wood Flooring: can possibly be saved or salvaged if treated in a timely manner; depending on circumstances. But in most cases this Wood Flooring can be considered non- salvageable and may need to be removed when affected by water.
Laminate Flooring: can be mistaken as wood and is unfortunately considered non- salvageable and cannot be saved; regardless the circumstances and should be removed when affected by water.
When Wood Floors gets saturated by water the moisture travels through that material, the water is absorb by the wood and will keep spreading. Acting fast to remove excess water and starting a drying plan will stop the spread of moisture; this will help keeping damage to a minimum and can potentially save your Wood Floors.
Contact your professionals at SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno by calling 650-794-1000 for assistance with your Wood Floors. We will be happy to help you in your time of need!