San Mateo County Residents: Mold Issues
Got Mold? Know Who to Contact!
We at SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno answer many calls regarding Mold Issues. In our last Blogs about "Got Mold?" we explained the importance of Fixing and Stopping the Source of Water Intrusion and what Steps to think about when Planning the Mold Remediation Process. But now what do you do?
Why know Who to Contact?
If you have Mold Damage and want to Properly Remediate the Damages then you need to know who to contact and when to contact them. Knowing who to contact and when to contact them will definitely help with the whole process. It will also avoid over lapping and double scheduling with different parties; unless it is necessary.
So Who do you Contact and When?
1. Contact your Insurance:
- See if your Insurance will provide Coverage for your Mold Damage.
- If so, they may assist with the Financials and may have additional Contacts to help you through the process.
- If not, then you will have to come out of pocket for your Mold Remediation.
2. Contact an Industrial Hygienist:
- An Industrial Hygienist will test the Locations Air Quality and determine the type of Mold Growing.
- They will also provide a Written Protocol on how to properly Remediate the Mold Damage. This Written Protocol should be followed by a Certified Mold Restoration Company to Properly Remediate the Mold.
- Please Note: Depending on the Age of the Building a Lead and Asbestos Test may be required. An Industrial Hygienist can provide this Testing.
- The Testing and Written Protocol for Mold Remediation can take 3-5 Days to receive.
- SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno can provide three Industrial Hygienist Contacts if requested.
3. Contact a Certified Mold Restoration Company:
- Once you have your Written Protocol from the Hygienist you can provide that report to the Certified Mold Restoration Company.
- Schedule an Inspection for the Mold Remediation.
- Go over all the Details that will be required to perform the Mold Remediation Services from Starting to Finishing.
- Schedule the Start of Mold Remediation.
- The Inspection and Mold Remediation Process can take 5-12 Days depending on the Extent of Mold Damage
- SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno can provide a Free Inspection and provide a Free Verbal Estimate during Normal Business Hours once the Written Protocol is received.
4. Contact the Same Industrial Hygienist:
- Once the Mold Remediation is Considered Completed by the Certified Mold Restoration Company you will than Contact the Same Industrial Hygienist to perform a Clearance Test.
- This Clearance Test will make sure the Air Quality is Back to Acceptable Levels and that the Certified Mold Restoration Company has done their Job Correctly.
- This Clearance Test will also provide a Certificate showing your Home has a Clean Bill of Health.
- The Clearance Testing can take 24-48 Hours
5. Contact a Contractor:
- Once the Location passes the Clearance Test by the Industrial Hygienist you can now begin the Build Back Process.
- Contact your Contractor to start the process.
- Please Note: Before selecting a Contractor it is best to find out their time frame to start the build back process before the Mold Remediation begins.
Having a better understanding on Who to Call and When to Call just makes the Mold Remediation Process much Smoother and Less Complicated.
Stay tuned for our next "Got Mold?" Blog!