Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Is Your Home Built Before 1983 in California?
Contact the Professionals when you have Mold, Water or Fire Damage. We will lead you in the right direction and prevent further contamination!
Houses Built Before 1983 Requires Asbestos and Lead Testing Prior to any Demolition!
Do you have Mold or Water and Fire Damage that requires Demolition to Affected Materials? Is Your Home Built before 1983? If so, Testing for Asbestos and Lead will be required.
Asbestos and Lead is no longer used in Homes; however, many older structures still contain the Substances. Asbestos is Highly Toxic and Inhaling its Fibers can cause lung scarring and cancer over time.
California Law has strict Regulations for Removing Asbestos and Lead contaminated Materials. Asbestos is found in Blown-In Insulation, Drywall Joint Compounds, Furnaces, Ductwork, Pipe Insulation, Vinyl Tile Flooring and Roofing Materials. Lead is usually Found in the Paint.
Only Licensed Professionals, Industrial Hygienists, with Specialized Equipment are allowed to Test, Detect and Report Asbestos and Lead Presence. The Testing is Completed Prior to Any Demolition or Disturbance of the Substances. Identifying Asbestos and Lead is your Responsibility.
For More Information on Testing and Demolition for Mold, Water and Fire Damage contact SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno at 650-794-1000. We are here to help!
Mold in San Francisco, California
This Photo shows Visible Mold in different sections of Homes. Mold likes to grow in damp, warm places, no ventilation or bad humidity.
Did you know Mold in San Francisco, CA is considered a "Public Health Nuisance"?
Owning Property in San Francisco, CA is very expensive and holds a lot of Responsibility, especially for the Property Homeowners that are Currently Renting-Out Units. Property Homeowners that Rent-Out to Tenants have many obligations and requirements to follow and dealing with Mold is one of them!
When a Tenant living in a Rental Property in San Francisco Suspects Mold in their Unit the Property Homeowner must take Action right away to make sure and keep that Property Mold Free. San Francisco has Tenants Rights in Place to make sure their Rental Properties/Homes stay in Habitable Conditions. If Not, the Tenants can possibly Sue their Property Owners.
If Mold Situations Arise, The Property Owner should immediately take diligent steps to Properly Remediate the Mold Issue and remove any Visible or Demonstrable Mold located anywhere within the Interiors of the Rental Property. This will ensure the Property Owner is providing their Responsibilities as a Landlord.
For More Information on Mold Remediation and Steps that should be Followed contact SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno at 650-794-1000. We are here to Help!
Why Re-grout your Tile?
This Shower Enclosure had Cracks in the Grout which caused Water to intrude and over time caused serious Mold Damage behind the Tile.
Re-grout your Tiles to Prevent Mold Damage!
Almost every Home and Business has Tile Built within it's Structure. Tile can be set on Walls, Shower Enclosures, Counter Tops, Back Splashes and as Flooring. The most common places Tile can be found is in Bathrooms, Kitchens and in Laundry Rooms. Which are the places that have the most Water Flow and Moisture Build Up.
The Grout is a filler between the Tiles. The Grout is a Porous Material that holds onto Moisture. Grout being wet constantly can cause discolorations, cracks, chunks to separate or even peel away and over time can compromise the integrity of the Grout causing it to fail.
When Grout Fails the Water can get into the smallest cracks, Mold can start to grow on the Outer Surface of the Grout. Over time of with Water Intrusion and constantly being wet it can become a lot worse within the Structure Behind or Under the Tile where you cannot see.
This is why it is very important to Re-grout your Tile! To Prevent Damage and Extra Out of Pocket Cost.
For More Information contact SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno at 650-794-1000! We are your Mold Remediation Company!
Got Visible Signs of Mold Growth in the Bay Area!?!
This Home had small amounts of Visible Growth Present. But when Mold Remediation started an Extensive Amount of Mold was found in the Rooms Cavity.
When it comes to Mold what you Can See can be 10 Times Worse where you Can't See!
If you can see visible Signs of Mold Growing there's a good chance that there is more Mold where you can not see. Our Home Structures not only have Walls and Ceilings, but also have Cavities where Insulation is usually placed. Mold Loves Dark, Damp and No Air Flow Places. Usually, Mold would first start in the Cavities and would slowly start to spread to the outer surfaces. When the Mold is Found it should be taken care of right away by a Professional!
Control and Prevent Mold Growth by:
- Monitoring Humidity Levels in the Home
- Ventilating after the use of Showers, Laundry Dryers and the Cooking Areas
- Fixing any Leaks from Pipelines, Supply Lines, Windows and Roofs
- Properly Cleaning and Performing Professional Restoration Drying after any Water Damage
Call SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno for your Mold Concerns at 650-794-1000!
Cleaning can Prevent Mold in Homes!
This Window Sill has Built up Dust and Condensation. Cleaning on a regular basis will prevent this kind of Build Up.
Did you know Cleaning Habits can Help Prevent Microbial Growth!
SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno receives many calls to Inspect Microbial Growth in Residential Homes and Businesses. Usually the Visible Microbial Growth we see everyday are around Counter Tops, Sinks, Bathtubs, Shower Enclosures, Windows and even on the Window Blinds. This usually happens because of Dust and Condensation Build Up.
Many don't realize is Dust is made up of tiny particles that consist of plant pollen, earth, waste matter, hair, skin cells, food, mold spores and even bacteria. The Dust can be carried in the Air and can Rest on the Ground or Surfaces. When Condensation Builds Up the Dust becomes Moist which usually feeds and starts the spread of Microbial Growth.
It's best to perform Good Cleaning Habits on a regular basis. Good Cleaning Habits are dusting, wiping, brushing, mopping, sweeping and vacuuming which will remove the Dust from the Surfaces. Also, Airing Out the Home or Business by opening windows and doors on a regular basis will help prevent Condensation Build Up.
Contact SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno if you need a Deep Cleaning at 650-794-1000.
Mold Happens in the Bay Area!
This Home in the Bay Area had Secondary Damages Occur from not Properly Drying a Water Loss that happened in the Bathroom.
Mold Can Happen When the Professionals are not Called!
Did you suffer a Water Loss and not call in the Professionals to help? Did you just Clean and Towel Dry the Surfaces after the Water Damage Loss?
If so, you are at risk for Secondary Damages. Secondary Damages can consist of Mold Growth and Wood Rot. When Customers try to take care of Water Losses themselves and are hesitate for calling in the Professionals, they are doing more Damage than Good. It's great to Clean the Water away yourself, but best to have a Professional Inspect to make sure nothing is wet.
The Benefit of having Professionals called in for Water Damage is knowing that Materials will Actually be Checked for any Moisture and will be Dried Properly if Required, so the Secondary Damages don't occur in your home. No Water Loss is to Big or Small and knowing you can contact the Professionals for help and assistance will ensure your Homes Health in the long run.
SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno are your Professionals to Call! Contact Us at 650-794-1000!
WARNING! Mold Remediation in Progress!
This is one of our WARNING! DO NOT ENTER SIGNS for Mold Remediation. This Sign Stops the Possible Spread of Mold Contamination.
WARNING! DO NOT ENTER!
When there is a WARNING or SAFETY SIGN Posted it is very Important to follow the Instructions.
During Mold Remediation Services SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno Posts WARNING! DO NOT ENTER SIGNS outside of our Containment's. We place the Signs to Stop Anyone around from Entering and Stopping the Possible Spread of Mold Contamination to the Unaffected Areas.
The Bottom Line is Warning and Safety Signs are a Type of Visual Communication Tools. Each Work-site has a different type of Hazard. Signs are posted for Workers and Anyone that may be in the Area to See. Warning and Safety Signs are the First Line of Defense against Unsafe Conditions, Guidance and Information.
Please be sure to Acknowledge and Consider any Warning and Safety Sign you encounter for your Safety and Ultimate Protection.
San Mateo County Residents: Mold Issues
When you find Mold in your home it is best to Remediate it Properly. Contact the Professionals to take care of it for you! It's our Job!
Got Mold? Know Who to Contact!
We at SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno answer many calls regarding Mold Issues. In our last Blogs about "Got Mold?" we explained the importance of Fixing and Stopping the Source of Water Intrusion and what Steps to think about when Planning the Mold Remediation Process. But now what do you do?
Why know Who to Contact?
If you have Mold Damage and want to Properly Remediate the Damages then you need to know who to contact and when to contact them. Knowing who to contact and when to contact them will definitely help with the whole process. It will also avoid over lapping and double scheduling with different parties; unless it is necessary.
So Who do you Contact and When?
1. Contact your Insurance:
- See if your Insurance will provide Coverage for your Mold Damage.
- If so, they may assist with the Financials and may have additional Contacts to help you through the process.
- If not, then you will have to come out of pocket for your Mold Remediation.
2. Contact an Industrial Hygienist:
- An Industrial Hygienist will test the Locations Air Quality and determine the type of Mold Growing.
- They will also provide a Written Protocol on how to properly Remediate the Mold Damage. This Written Protocol should be followed by a Certified Mold Restoration Company to Properly Remediate the Mold.
- Please Note: Depending on the Age of the Building a Lead and Asbestos Test may be required. An Industrial Hygienist can provide this Testing.
- The Testing and Written Protocol for Mold Remediation can take 3-5 Days to receive.
- SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno can provide three Industrial Hygienist Contacts if requested.
3. Contact a Certified Mold Restoration Company:
- Once you have your Written Protocol from the Hygienist you can provide that report to the Certified Mold Restoration Company.
- Schedule an Inspection for the Mold Remediation.
- Go over all the Details that will be required to perform the Mold Remediation Services from Starting to Finishing.
- Schedule the Start of Mold Remediation.
- The Inspection and Mold Remediation Process can take 5-12 Days depending on the Extent of Mold Damage
- SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno can provide a Free Inspection and provide a Free Verbal Estimate during Normal Business Hours once the Written Protocol is received.
4. Contact the Same Industrial Hygienist:
- Once the Mold Remediation is Considered Completed by the Certified Mold Restoration Company you will than Contact the Same Industrial Hygienist to perform a Clearance Test.
- This Clearance Test will make sure the Air Quality is Back to Acceptable Levels and that the Certified Mold Restoration Company has done their Job Correctly.
- This Clearance Test will also provide a Certificate showing your Home has a Clean Bill of Health.
- The Clearance Testing can take 24-48 Hours
5. Contact a Contractor:
- Once the Location passes the Clearance Test by the Industrial Hygienist you can now begin the Build Back Process.
- Contact your Contractor to start the process.
- Please Note: Before selecting a Contractor it is best to find out their time frame to start the build back process before the Mold Remediation begins.
Having a better understanding on Who to Call and When to Call just makes the Mold Remediation Process much Smoother and Less Complicated.
Stay tuned for our next "Got Mold?" Blog!
Contact SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno at 650-794-1000. We are here for you during your Mold Remediation!
San Mateo County Residents: Mold Issues
Mold can happen anywhere and spread if left untreated. Contact a trusted Mold Remediation Service Provider to properly Remediate Mold Damages.
Got Mold? Begin planning the next steps!
SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno receive many calls about Mold Issues. In our last blog about "Got Mold?" we discussed finding the source of water intrusion that is causing that mold to grow. Once that source of water intrusion is fixed and stopped you can than begin planning the next steps to handle the mold.
Why is Planning Important?
It is very important to plan the next steps of action when working to remediate mold; especially if you want it done correctly. Having a plan of action will help make the process much easier for you and other parties involved. Knowing what steps you're planning on taking and what to expect to properly remediate the mold will help save time and money.
What to Plan for?
- Reaching your Goal to Remediating the Mold Damages Correctly
- Who to Contact and When to Contact
- What Resources/ Financials will be required
- Knowing the Extent of Mold Damages
- Will you have to Temporarily Relocate
- Your Timeline: Start to Finish
- The Changes that will occur during the Remediation Process
- Expecting Delay with unwanted circumstances that can arise
- Knowing your involvement and decisions are very important
- Will your personal belongings need to be moved or cleaned
- Know it can become overwhelming during the Mold Remediation Process
- How do you know if the Mold Remediation was done correctly
- Will you need to Re-build
When you have planned for the expected and know what direction you want to take you will be on the right path to correctly remediating mold at your residence or business.
Stay tuned for our next "Got Mold?" Blog!
Call SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno with any questions about your Mold Damage at 650-794-1000. We are here for you!
San Mateo County Residents: Mold Issues
Finding and Fixing the Source of the Water Intrusion will stop the Mold from Growing in your Residential or Commercial Property.
Got Mold? Find the Source!
SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno receive many calls regarding Mold in Residential and Commercial Properties. Some calls are more severe than others, but typically all Mold Situations have the same outcome. It is very important to Find and Stop the Source!
What is the Source?
The Source is the Moisture that is feeding that Mold in your home or business. Mold Grows off moisture and finding where you are having that moisture problem will assist with stopping that Mold from growing and spreading.
Where to find the Source:
- Water Leaks from Supply Lines
- Water Leaks from Pipelines (Interior and Exterior)
- Water Leaks from Faucets
- Water Leaks from Toilets
- Water Leaks from Dishwashers
- Water Leaks from Refrigerators
- Water Leaks from Washing Machines
- Standing Water in Crawl Spaces
- Cracks or Holes on Exterior of Structure
- Window Sills (that water can get into)
- Not airing out structure (after cooking or showers)
- Roof Leaks
- Water Loss in Neighboring Home or Unit
- Flash Floods Occurring
- Previous Water Loss not Properly Mitigated
When you find the Source of Water Intrusion you can than stop feeding the Mold and start removing it!
If you like this information- stay tuned for our next "Got Mold?" Blog!
Call SERVPRO of South San Francisco City/ San Bruno at 650-794-1000 for more information on Mold Damage Remediation. We are here to help!